In our 19th episode of Climate Check: Stories and Solutions, Raine Manley tells the story of her journey from frustration to activism as she tackles plastic waste here in New York City. The outcome? NYC passed “Skip the Stuff,” a law in NYC that requires restaurants and food delivery apps to leave out the single-use plastic from deliveries, unless the customer specifically asks for it. Find out how this was done!
– Overview of “Skip the Stuff” from Hunter’s Food Policy Center: https://www.nycfoodpolicy.org/food-policy-snapshot-nyc-skip-the-stuff-bill/
– Further Reading; Can I Recycle This? By Jennie Romer – https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/639336/can-i-recycle-this-by-jennie-romer-illustrated-by-christie-young/
– 350Brooklyn’s Plastic Free Workgroup – https://350brooklyn.org/workgroups/plastics/
– Reusable NYC Coalition – https://www.reusablenyc.org/
– Resources to help pass Skip The Stuff in your city from Beyond Plastics: https://www.beyondplastics.org/campaign-toolkits/skip-the-stuff